Saturday 27 February 2010

Duvet day

I really look forward to saturdays, and I've just moved to a new part of London and have been enjoying the early morning jogs, exploring new places, hopeful that I'll somehow find a way to cut by 7 min journey to the tube to 20 seconds. But today, all I wanted to do was cushion my throbbing head under the blankets.

But I'm checking in today, for 2 reasons:
Number one, i'm trying to stay accountable, and it helps that I know a few people are reading this and making sure I'm ok and that I'm eating enough protein and so on (thanks Sonj & Liz).
And number two, I stumbled across a blog from someone who was doing the $2 challenge, and seemingly he found it quite difficult. And now I can understand why. For one thing, there's the fact that you're hungry, for parts of the day at least. And ok, I know I've got a few vegetables left but I'm not quite sure how long they'll last. But also there's the fact that I can't just buy a snack if I feel like it, or pick up a nice oven meal whenever I want. At the moment, I'm finding this a bit disempowering; something I have previously taken forgranted is now completely off limits. But this is what it is like for half the world's population. I read a mind-blowing stat the other day. Whilst 40% live on less than $2, nearly 80% live on less than $10.* For everything. Not just food, but heating, transport, water and everything else. I find this astonishing, because I'm in that other unmentioned number: the other 20% that are rich. Richer than the world's poorest.

So. I'm determined to finish this - although I've been hungry and turned into the grouchy flatmate from hell, I'm hopeful that this will have a bigger impact on me in the long run. And also, I'm really looking forward to having something other than porridge on Friday.

Here's a quick run down - I'm aware that the food part isn't that interesting so I'll put some photographical evidence up later.

Breakfast - porridge again
Lunch - baked potato, braised leek & cheese
Dinner - roast parsnip & carrot, sausage & egg

Oh and I realised that I have enought FT ingredients to make flapjacks, so I made some of them today too.

An early night I think. Sweet dreams.

* Poverty Stats and Facts: Global Issues

No comments:

Post a Comment