Sunday 28 February 2010

Blog-democracy: your vote required

Verdict of sunday lunch: eating in community is definitely a plus. So, one benefit is that cooking in bulk can reduce the cost per person (and here, I'm drawing on a very sketchy/absent knowledge of a-level economics) owing to economies of scale. Basically, cost per person decreases as quantities of food increase. But there tends to be a drop off/ a point along the scale where costs start to increase again because of additional costs being factored in. (bored yet? Sorry, I'll stop.)

On the other hand, some might say that eating in community has its drawbacks. For most of us, this is nothing fancy or unusual, it simply means sitting down to dinner with family. But that can be hard - just finding time to do it. In our house everyone is out at different times, there's rarely a night when we're all in. Or it can be challenging in other ways, for example, today, I was invited to Sunday lunch. What a treat, I thought to myself. I should have known I'd get a grilling. I always do. It's just like being at home. I love Karin & Pete. They frequently feed the 5000 around their dinner table, I don't know how they do it, they are literally hospitality in living breathing form. And they're infinitely amusing as well. Which I love. But yeah, not only was quizzed and probed about my current 'thing'... I was also shamed into admitting that one week of living on 2 ethical dollars is by no means long enough.

So - - - what d'you think? Vote now.



3 comments:

  1. I think eating with others is a great thing to do... such a good relationship builder. But yes, I've also experienced the dilemma of getting a grilling about why I'm veggie -and then debating with myself as to whether I should only be veggie when I'm cooking for myself. I don't like to put other people out, or make them feel like I'm judging them... I never start these conversations myself and try and change the subject!!

    May I recommend 'A Good Life' by Leo Hickman... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Life-Ethical-Living-Project/dp/1903919894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267532871&sr=8-1
    A helpful but non guilt-inducing guide to trying to live more ethically!

    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I didn't vote! I think it would be good to do longer term, but adapted from your experiences of the first week, (e.g. accepting meals/cakes at work as something that happens a lot in life and feeling blessed rather than guilty) or that you simply make decisions from this week that you'd like to try and stick to long-term... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good suggestions! Thank you.

    P'raps I should sit down and work out the next stage of the ethical plan (over fairtrade coffee and chocolate brownies from Jamie's wholesale foodstore...) :)

    ReplyDelete