Wednesday 29 February 2012

Day 4: Eau de beans

On day 4 of the rice and beans challenge, I now smell of the food I've been eating. I am craving anything sweet. Butter icing, condensed milk, fifteens. Bananas taste amazing (I know because I have eaten 3 this week: which is a big R&B rule contravention, but I am following a slightly flexible version of the rules as otherwise I would almost certainly be in a hypo glycaemic coma).

So now that I'm more than half way through, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I think there's also a salad there too.  What's been difficult is having the same taste, the same substance and very little variety of food.  It genuinely makes be thankful different food groups such as meat, veggies and complex carbohydrates. I found it difficult to concentrate at work for the first day, but have grown more used to having less to eat, but I don't know how I would have managed to do a full day's labour with this amount of energy.  I'm conscious of how much I consume on an ordinary basis, and it makes me think I could definitely cut down on unnecessary things.

And with that in mind, I want to pray for West Africa.  Alernet reports that there will be another food crisis this year in the Sahel, putting 10 million lives at risk. But if we act now, the effects could be dramatically reduced. So Father God, please help us to learn the lessons from past disasters. Please help aid agencies respond, with the help of governments, to put in place the right mechanisms to prevent disaster. The erratic rains mean that crops may fail but there are things that can be done to help cultivate drought resistent crops.  Let's pray for good cooperation between governments and humanitarian agencies to help to provide a plan of action, to save lives and prevent disaster. Amen. 

Please consider making a donation to Tearfund who have long term partners in West Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment