Monday 27 February 2012

Day 2: hunger pangs and headaches

It's an encouragement to know that there are 72 people doing the rice and beans challenge in work; and by way if supporting each other and resisting the temptations of food, we have been assigned to a separate area on the staff canteen. It was all going smoothly until I caught a sniff of the alternative option; the aroma of a hamburger wafting through the air. However I had the lovely encouraging company of Helen and Keren to help overcome. As we reflected on our meagre meals, we became thankful for what we had.

As I've been unwell for a few days running up to this, I'm also very thankful for medicine. How easily I can select a packet of paracetamol off the shelf of the pharmacy. But for all those who don't have such luxuries, life is unnecessarily hard. Today, I pray for communities around the world, where illnesses such as diarrhoea are life threatening. Where if mum or dad gets ill, it means no money for food. I pray that their lives are changed by simple things like having access to water, and having basic sanitation. Because these things aren't luxuries, they are essential to life. Lord I pray for life in its fullest sense for these most vulnerable communities. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment