Friday 16 April 2010

World of wonders

Feeling a bit blue by my volcanic activity related cancelled flight to the homeland, I decided I needed to look at the bigger picture and be thankful that I'm not flying through molten ash.

And stumbled across this.

He waters the mountains from his upper chambers;
the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work.
Psalm 104: 13

In fact the whole psalm is pre-ttt-y amazing. But for me, this part really shines out.

May the glory of the Lord endure forever;
may the Lord rejoice in his works -
he who looks at the earth, and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke.
Psalm 104:31-32

But I'd encourage you to read the whole chapter because maybe you haven't been affected by seismic activity today and you might find an entirely different part really speaks to you...
or challenges you or you just find something that makes you think.

I love creation, which is why this psalm is really alive for me. I think because I 'get' that vibe when I'm hanging out in God's back garden. So the trees are just doing their thing, just being trees; and I get to just be me. And that's all. There's really not that much to it. But one-ness and stillness and... God, who made all these things perfect and wonderful and awesome, is there, in the moment.

Perspective.

Really, my cancelled weekend plans are not that big in the scheme of things. Although I will be sad not to chillax with a giggle of girls, including one who is due to be a hen tomorrow. But I'm sure I can find something almost as entertaining to do instead.

And as well, I just want to remember other places around the world where seismic shifts have had much greater consequences. Haiti, Chile and this week, China have suffered terribly. However, there has been a phenomenal public response to the integrated disaster response work. They will all need funding for many years to come. Please pray for those affected, for the thousands left without a home. For the community as they try to rebuild their lives, and for aid workers in these countries as they carry out their work in physically and emotionally draining conditions. If you want to keep up to date with what's going on, you might like to read more on the Red Cross website.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer Guy, you're a talented and inspiring writer. You remind me of a female version of Rob Bell. Since reading this I've been thinking more about creation. Springtime is a great time for that with its bright colours, flowers bursting forth, sun, blue skies. I love it.

    Jennie, we want more! And yes I'm still coming to yours for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maid Marian for your kind words...
    You are a great encourager. You know that. I'm glad there's two of us foreigners here.
    You're on for dinner.

    And oh, Rob Bell is the bees knees. He's such a great communicator and brings an amazing visual perspective to the Bible. He's actually been quite a large influence in recent years on me. Oh, and his Nooma DVDs are the perfect thing when the calendar reminder pops up on Monday morning to remind about team devotions ; )

    ReplyDelete